Saturday, December 24, 2005

Losing a Language

Sometimes when I reread my posts I find that they are not so great. My narratives sound so bo..ring. Maybe because I was with the government.Everything was in BM. So my English suffered a bit.The news papers helped me to stay tuned to the language. My younger office mates couldn't string a decent English sentence. Some were proffessionals mind you.U Grads ! Hey even my kids can't converse properly in English.Peer influence ? Lousy education system,lousy English teachers. How could my kids be not fluent in English.Their mum (my Missus) wouldn't even try.She was Malay educated. I have conversed with my kids.They can but they are not that confident. They developed this phobia from their schools and school mates. You know,rural Malays like to ridicule those who speak English.Speaking London kunun. The kampung people will forever be under their coconut shell. When I meet my peers and siblings,our conversations slips naturally into English. Our children have also started to read and write English.Thanks to the Internet and tv. My sister used to write great essays in her younger days. My brother is a journalist and so is my bro in law.In English. I do not want my kids to be in a rut like their school and kampong mates.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow! u r such a great dad..