Monday, December 05, 2005

Anniversary

Today 4th December is our 28th wedding anniversary. I was just a junior government officer then.Earning about RM 500 per month. My wife Milah gave up her job in KL.I didn't allow her to work anymore. After our first child Firdaus was born, we moved to Bukit Mertajam where I was working. We shared a govt quarters in Bukit Tengah with my friend.My friend didn't want to stay there,so we had it all to ourselves.By then we already had two kids,Firdaus and Fahmie. And then my friend changed his mind and wanted to move back in.So we had to look for a new home.We rented a newly built house in Tanah Liat.The pakcik and makcik who owned the house were such nice folks.We were treated just like family. When I was late in paying rent ,the pakcik didn't mind.He was very understanding. They had three daughters and a daughter in law. Good friends to Milah. They were all very upset when we moved out.Our third son ,Fadzlil was born during our stay here. My application for a quarters was approved.We moved back to that same little house in Bukit Tengah.My family called it the little house on the praire (after that tv series). Its a single house (cabin) set back from the road with a big open space in front. The kids learnt to ride their bikes there. There is a well beside it.Whenever there is a water shortage (broken mains or cuts) we will bathe at the well.The water is clear,cold and refreshing. To prevent cattle and stray dogs loitering near our house,I got the department to erect a fence around our compound.The well is outside our compound.The villagers use it. The elder boys took a school bus to school at Kebun Sireh. Fadzlil went to kindy in Bukit Mertajam,near my office.His elder brothers also went to the same kindy . When Shahman came,our house in Tasek Gelugor was nearing completion. We moved here in 1990.Fadzlil started Standard One,Fahmie Std Three,Firdaus Std Six. Lina was born in 1991 and Shafiq in 1994. It took nearly 13 years until we finally have a place to call our own. Sometimes we were really hard up,and we had to scrape every cent to put food on the table.I have been buying milk powder since my first child was born in 1978 until now. My youngest son still drinks milk.The price of milk has tripled since 1978. Even though we were not well off,we never begged or borrowed from anyone.If somebody feels like giving,its okay. Now we are quite steady,but still not rich.We don't spend extravagantly,only when necessary. Sometimes,I feel sad that I can't afford to buy nice stuff for my wife and kids.They understand and they never demand anything.They are grateful with what I can give. This anniversary I have set aside a little something for my beloved and long suffering better half.I hope it will make her happy.

No comments: