Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The bouganvilla tree

Visitors who come to my house always tell me that my house is so easy to find. They would look for a big bushy chilli red bouganvilla tree along the fence and will definitely find my house. It is such a landmark in my neighborhood.When people ask my neighbors where my house is,the neighbors will ask them to look out for that tree. Many cuttings have been given to many admirers.But I havent seen any growing in the neighborhood. Some Mat Banglas even posed for photos with the attractive tree to send back home. This bouganvilla never stops flowering all year round. Tiny birds made their nests in the intertwining branches. And it's a good shade for the afternoon,the cats like to sleep under it. On Friday evening,there was a big thunderstorm.The sky was black with sparks of lightning and rolling thunder.The winds were howling loud and strong. Soaked heavy with rain,the old stem could'nt carry the weight of its heavy head of wet leaves and red wet flowers.Finally it snapped and the tree which was our pride and friend to humans and animals was no more. The tree was broken near its stump.Fahmie and friends took two days to clear the leaves and branches.It was not easy.The branches were twisted in and out.The thorns were sharp and painful. About two feet of stump was left.Hope that will grow. When the tree fell,it pulled down my telephone wire too.So I was offline for one day.

1 comment:

Shiny Blue Black said...

I'm so sorry about your tree. They're usually so underappreciated, it's nice when someone notices them, no?

Would love to see a photo.